Friday, May 16, 2014

Never Say Never...| Rancho Santa Margarita Newborn Photographer

There are a few things in my life that I've said I would NEVER do...be a secretary - did it for 4 years...Drive a mini van - yep rockin a Honda Odyssey as my main ride....Do a newborn shoot - Meet baby Stella!


I don't even remember what prompted me to say I want to try my hand at newborn photography, probably the challenge.  When I mentioned it in front of my friend Susan her response was "I can get you a baby!"  That she did, she got me two in fact, a boy and a girl.  Stella is Susans niece Erica's new baby girl.  Mark and Erica graciously agreed to let me borrow the baby!


Mark and Erica met working on a cruise ship, Erica working in the kids program and Mark was a chef.  Mark is from the Netherlands and trained with Gordon Ramsey!  They fell in love, left the ship, and were married after a bit of a struggle with government paperwork!  Mark worked on the Disney Dream Cruise Ship and has now moved on to the Carthay Restaurant in Disney's California Adventure.

To prep for this "challenge" I did what anyone would do - watched YouTube videos!  I learned posing, safety and wrapping all in a day. (haha!)  It really made me laugh when mom during the shoot asked "where did you learn how to do this"!   I did tell her the truth....
I also bought a little fabric and asked my friend Sandy of Creation Custom Jewelry & Repair to make me a few headbands.  I was ready....


Well I didn't account for a wide awake baby, although I did manage to get some cute "awake" shots also.   My 2 hour shoot went almost 5 hours!  We were having fun dressing her up and Erica was so into all the props and trying different things I had no idea we had gone that long.  Baby decorating and posing was SO fun and I think I am hooked!


Towards the end of the shoot, I told Erica I had bought some stuff that might be kinda cheesy.  Maybe we could make it cute since dad is a chef.   Erica was so open to anything we decorated the baby again and when this shot came together I was beyond ecstatic!  SO stinkin cute!  Erica was going to surprise dad for fathers day but this was too cute to not share right away!


This is such a natural fit for me.  I have always loved babies and snuggling with them as my job - priceless!  As I dropped my dog at doggie day care that morning the girl gave my dog kisses and said "there's no other job can you kiss your clients besides this"?  I was quick to answer with - I am photographing a newborn today and plan to do the same thing!!


While I haven't learned to never say never I am so happy I said yes to newborns!  I am honing my craft with legitimate classes now and hope to have many many newborns pass through my doors in the near future!

email me for details if your expecting or know someone who is, and we can plan your babies first photoshoot: denisehurdle@me.com

(I will never photograph a wedding for sure though!)










1 comment: